Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021
- Autumn semester 2020: 31st August to 19th December
- 1-3 vocal students
Explore the connections between language, music, acting and movement through scenes from Italian Opera and recitative. You will work with language, musical performance, acting, vocal skills and stage movement in parallel, often with several teachers cooperating in the same session. The module will contain:
- Investigation of the influence of language on stage thought, action and performance
- vocal coaching and musical preparation of opera scenes in original language, individually and in group
- Practical role analysis and stage work
- Stage movement classes
- An intensive course focusing on the secco recitative. We will explore methods for preparation, musically and language-wise, as well as methods for achieving spontaneity and meaning through improvisation.
- Performing arias and select ensembles with orchestra in the concert hall of the old Academy of Music in Stockholm
- Performing opera scenes with piano in our studio theatre
The repertoire is selected depending on the students in the course. The repertoire will be discussed and decided in May 2020.
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module
- Patrik Sörling, stage director, assistant professor of stage movement
- Giuseppina Penta, language coach, senior lecturer of Italian lyric diction
- Martin Hellström, assistant professor of musical interpretation
Possible extra’s beside the module:
- Seminars on aspects of opera as an artform and of the opera singer’s profession.
- Seminars on performance psychology for singers
Number of teaching / production hours of the EOA module:
- ca. 100 hours
Number of ECTs
We choose our EOA-students via recorded material. With the application we need recordings of sound and video.
Sound: Wav or AIFF. Video: Mov or mp4
Description of the final Examination:
Students are assessed continually through the project and examined through a presentation of Italian opera scenes.
Teaching language/ Required level of language:
Communication language: EN, level 5
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included / excluded in this price: Against Swedish legislation to charge for public higher education, except for students outside of EES