Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021
- Winter Semester: 1 October – 1st week of February
- Spring Semester: last week of February – 3rd week of June 30 ECTS/semester for Erasmus SMS.
30 ECTs / semester for Erasmus SMS
Communication languages: EN/IT
max 2 vocal students
This module guides the student through a path of vocal and scenic interpretation of one or more scenes from Verdi’s operas. They are planned as follows:
- Analysis, study and full understanding of Verdi’s libretto(s) and character(s) chosen.
- Vocal technique and style coaching in Verdi’s repertoire.
- Advanced Italian pronunciation and diction classes.
- Individual coaching and group work: vocal and score lessons, and group work on Scenic Art (Training of the actor’s body, physical and gestural laboratory).
- Preparation for final exam and concert(s). Classes will be held in Italian and English.
ERASMUS SMS students have to choose other courses (e.g. Poetry for music and dramaturgy, Opera History etc.) among those annually proposed by the Conservatory, to reach the total number of required credits and complete the Learning Agreement.
Special attention will be given to the study of proper Italian diction and pronunciation with native Italian teachers, in building the chosen Verdi’s character (both scenic and vocal) with full linguistic and stylistic background. Choice of repertoire according to student’s needs. Possible exchange and collaboration with other students of the Conservatory
working on the same repertoire. A unique opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the rich operatic music culture of the territory, attending places of unique musical interest, within the Conservatory (Musical Section of Libreria Palatina, Boito’s Studio and Toscanini’s Studio) or in the immediate nearby of it (the Library of the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Verdiani, specialized in 19th century opera and music in general, with particular emphasis on the life and work of Giuseppe Verdi, the Museo dell’Opera, the Casa della Musica etc.).
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Donatella Saccardi, Adriana Cicogna and Lucetta Bizzi (Vocal coach)
- Roberta Faroldi (diction and actor’s work)
- Claudia Rondelli, Roberta Ropa, Laura Soracco, Luca Sabatino (Score and Repertoire).
Description of final examination:
Performance of an operatic full Verdi scene in front of a jury. The examination may coincide with a public concert.
Upon request a little tour of the main “music treasures” of Verdi’s land: the birthplace of Verdi and Villa Sant’Agata, the Toscanini Museum, the world renowned Teatro Regio, the beautiful Teatro Farnese (17th century), the Casa del Suono, etc. Opportunity to join Italian Course lev. A2+B1 in the first semester or English Course level B1 or B2 in second semester. October is the month of the Parma Verdi Festival. Facilities are offered to enrolled students who want to experience a show at the Teatro Regio and/or other planned locations.
- Individual tuition: 15 h (per semester) + Group work: 45 h (per semester), plus other group lessons, to complete the ECTS required level
ERASMUS students may choose a mobility within a semester